Monday, January 7, 2008

6 Letters written by Julia Hills Johnson

6 Letters
(#1 Written by JULIA HILLS JOHNSON, Mother of Patriarch, Benjamin Franklin Johnson)



October 13, 1814
My Dear Mother:

After my love to you, I would inform you of our welfare, and hope these few lines will find you in health and prosperity. Through our journey we have been blessed with health and we are now all well and hearty. We started from Westford , Vermont on the 27th of June and came on over some one hundred miles and one of our horses became lame and we laid by for a week. We then came awhile but was obliged to stop again for three or four days, and then came on as far as Hamburg, this side of Buffalo where we stopped about seven weeks. I was very discontented there, yet the people urged us to stay. They gave Mr. Johnson one dollar a day with house rent, garden vegetables, milk etc. He thought it was best to stay until our horses got recruited up and we got rested, as he had the money for his work. But I could not be contented to stay any longer for there was no neighbors short of about two miles, and all Sabbath breakers and I could not feel at home there.

We started from there on the 24th of September, and was four days coming to this place on account of bad roads. This is a beautiful country and we have concluded to stay here until spring if not longer. "(They built a house on block 21.) Mr. Johnson intends to go on himself and see the country before he moves his family any further for fear he would not like it so well as he does here. There is many moving to the west, some days ten or twelve wagons in company and some have come back to this place. This country is very healthy indeed and good for grain which is plenty and cheap, markets at present are distant. Such corn I never saw before as I have seen here. It is only seven years since the first settlements were made here. There begins to be fruit of almost every kind; I never saw such sights of peaches before. Thousands of bushels rot on the ground. They make sauce of them, and brandy. The trees bear in three years from the stone, and apples in six.

We have hired a little house about two miles and a half from the village of Canadaway (now Fredonia) which contains three societies, Baptists, Presbyterians and Methodists. There is also mills and school near at hand with neighbors who appear very friendly and kind. If Mr. Johnson does not like it better at Cincinnati he intends to settle here before any other country he ever saw. It is a good place for his trade which demands one dollar and fifty cents per day, but the Lord knows what is best and I hope that I shall be reconciled to His will.

The Lord only knows whether we shall ever see each other again on this earth. I hope we shall put our trust in Him and be reconciled to His will for He knows what is best for us. All things shall work together for the good of those who love Him. If we are afflicted it is for our good, for He doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men. Therefore, let us put our trust in Him, for He hath said, "They that put their trust in Him shall be as Mount Zion which shall not be removed."

My children send their love to you all. Remember my love to all inquiring friends. Tell Almera I wish they would write to me. Do write as soon as possible. I shall write as soon as Mr. Johnson gets back, if not before.

This from your affectionate children,
E. and J. Johnson






(#2 Written to Esther Ellis Hills Forbush)

Pomphret, Chataqua County, New York
February 27, 1815

My Dear Parents:

After my love to you I will inform you that through the blessing of God, we are all in good health and hope this will find you so. I have not heard a word from you for more than a year. I have written to you four letters since I have received any. Mr. Johnson has gone to Cincinnati, Ohio. He started on the last day of January. I have not heard a word from Joel for a year or more. I am very anxious to hear from my friends. I wrote the particulars of our journey thus far in my last letter. If Mr. Johnson likes that country we calculate to move on in the spring, if we live and are well. Many families are passing here almost every day for that place. We like this country first rate upon many accounts. It is not as cold as Vermont and is excellent for grain, grass, and all kinds of produce. With good inhabitants and good schools. My children go to school and learn very fast. Seth and Nancy want to write to their grandmother, but it will cost too much to pay for their letters. I had a daughter born on the 16th of December, who is smart and well.

I want you to write how you enjoy religion. Whether you are cold and stupid like myself, or are you engaged in the good cause of Christ. I hope you are like Mary and have chosen the better part, which shall not be taken away. I hope we shall live as we shall wish we had lived when we are called from time to Eternity. I hope we shall be prepared to meet in Heaven to dwell with the righteous forever. I hope we shall see each other again in a few years, but life is uncertain. I want you to give my love to Aunt Woodward's family, tell the girls to write to me.

I remain your affectionate child,
Julia Johnson.



(#3 Letter to sister)

Pomphret, Chataqua County, New York
November 11, 1818

Dear Sister:

I have another chance of writing to you, which I improve. I have written several times but received no answer. I have heard of the death of our mother which was very heavy news to me. We have lost a very kind, affectionate parent of which no doubt you are sensible, but we have no right to murmur, God will do all things right. We must be submissive and prepare to follow our dear deceased mother. I wish you would write the particulars concerning her death and write me a long letter. I have been anxious to hear from you for a long time. Almera Woodward (Julia's cousin) wrote to me that you was keeping house for your father and made out very well, which I was glad to hear. I send this letter by Mr. Johnson; he will tell you the particulars of our affairs. I want your father to send me that Great Dictionary; that was my father's, and if Joel (Hills) has a chance to get it from here he shall have it, for that was my mother's desire as she expressed it when she was up in Vermont. And I wish you would send me some straw braid for a bonnet and Mr. Johnson will pay you for it. Such things are very scarce here. Remember my love to your father and family and take a good share yourself.

Julia Johnson


(#4 Letter to Diadamie Forbush my half sister)


Pomphret, Chataqua County, New York
July 21, 1831

My Dear Sister:

How long a time it is since I received a line from you, and how much longer since I saw you? I have waited long for a letter, but getting none, I improve this opportunity of informing you that myself and family (those about home) are as well as has been usual for us to be for some time and I do really hope that this may find you enjoying the best of earthly blessings, health ... Mr. Johnson is now gone to Ohio. Joel and family have removed to that state, Loraine County, Amhurst Township. David is with them. It's about two months since I heard from them. Mr. Johnson and Seth went last fall to Cincinnati and Newport and spent the winter at or near those places. Seth taught school. They found sisters Nancy and Rhoda with their families well and left them so.

I think I wrote to you that my family consists of fifteen children, two married, Joel and Delcena, both have two children and each have lost one, the rest as I said, generally live at home. Nancy had the misfortune last August to be thrown from a horse which dislocated or broke her hip. She will probably have to use crutches as long as she lives. For the most of the time she is able to sew, paint, etc. We are in rather low circumstances as it respects the good things of this world, but through the good providence of God we have a comfortable living, and knowing that we need but little here below nor want that little long as we endeavor to be content with such things as we have and give thanks to the giver and seek that durable riches and righteousness which shall never fail.

Dear sister, how oft have I wished that you and I were so situated that we might often see each other and speak to each other of the things most interesting and dear to us, and of our trials and cares and mutually share in each other's joys and sorrows, etc. But since we are separated let us be thankful for the mercies that we do enjoy and ever bear in mind that this earth is not our abiding place, and let us seek earnestly for one to come, one whose builder and maker is God. That we may soon meet again where parting and separation shall be known no more forever -- this is my prayer.

Oh, my sister, do not put off writing as you have done, but write soon and inform me of your present circumstances and situation, and of your future prospects and hopes. I very much want to know how you get along with your family and whatever else would be interesting to us respecting your situation and prospects, etc. And also what are your views of futurity and how you get along in your mind, etc. I want you should write what information you have respecting Aunt Woodward and the family; where is Almera and family? and tell me about Mrs. Roberts, and my cousins and friends in that country. Give my love and best wishes to them all and accept the same yourself as well as the love and respect of all my children who are at home. Remember Enoch, Polly and Chloe (Diadamia's brother and sisters) and inform me of them and their families. Now, my dear sister, I must draw to a close by requesting an interest in your prayers and by subscribing myself as ever your affectionate sister-in-haste.

Julia Johnson








(#5 Letter to Diadamia Wheeler)

Springfield, Illinois
March 13, 1839

Dear Sister:

Having an opportunity of sending a few lines to you or rather to send them where we last heard of you we improve it. It is now six years since we heard from you in any way. We have written several times, but have been moving about so much that we could not have received one even though you had written. You must know we have been very anxious to hear from you as the last news we heard was that you have lost your husband. Oh! My dear sister, how shall I use words to express my feelings when I look back to the time when we saw each other, the last change in our situation and circumstances in life, the change of seasons, places and nations, the commotion of the earth and the disposition of men, deceiving and being deceived -- The signs of the last days, the fulfillment of Scriptures, etc. –

I will say we are all well who are with us as usual. And though strange it may appear, I am happy to inform you that we have the misfortune (if it may be called one) to belong to that poor deluded (as the world say) despised sect of being called Mormons or Latter Day Saints, who are verily persecuted for righteousness sake. We left the state of New York about six years ago and went to Kirtland, Ohio where the Lord saw fit to afflict us by taking from us four of the elderly members of my family, Nancy, Seth, David and Susan. They were all taken from us within four years. How shall, how can, I express my feelings, "But the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away and blessed by the name of the Lord."

We have suffered a great deal of sickness, I was very extremely sick last fall in this place with the fevers almost unto death, but the Lord saw fit to spare my life and measurably restore me to health. Joel is about one hundred miles west of here with his family, Julia and Almera are married, they both did very well, married respected men. Delcina has lost her husband. He died last winter -- 27th of January. She is in Missouri, we expect her here soon. I have three sons, unmarried, men grown up, Joseph, Benjamin and George. Two of them are with me, the other with Delcina. I have two daughters with me, Mary and Esther.

I went to Cincinnati last summer and there found Nancy and Rhoda. Rhoda is in Newport across the river from Cincinnati, they are all well.

I have not time to write much more, the gentleman who is expected to bear this is one of those Mormons and as yet has never preached a sermon, but probably will before you receive this. I beg, I pray and entreat you as one who loves you, to search into these things, "prove all things, and hold fast to that which is good." Study the scriptures the prophecies and then you will learn that the Lord in the last days will bring forth His work, His strange work, His act, His strange act, that truth shall spring out of the earth and righteousness shall look down from Heaven. That Zion will be builded, the Saints gathered and possess the land promised to their fathers and build Jerusalem again, etc. Recollect that the Lord's work was always a strange work in the eyes of the people, that he chooses the poor, the weak, the illiterate of this world, to confound the wisdom of the wise and bring to naught the wisdom of the world. Therefore, I will close by begging you to inquire into the truth of these things. Ask the Lord in sincerity to show you the right way. As for persecution, the Lord has said he that liveth Godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution also whom the Lord loveth him He chastiseth, etc. Never-the-less these seem not for the present. Joyous but grievious -- Look unto the Lord and not to man "Cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his aim" -- Write immediately on the reception of this. Direct your letter to this place, give all our respects to our friends of your acquaintance. I remain in affliction, your sister.

Julia Johnson.


(#6 A letter from Joel Hills, to his mother, Esther Ellis Hills Forbush)


Newport, Kentucky
February 14, 1815

Dear and Affectionate Mother: Do not suppose that I have forgotten you in consequence of my having remained so long silent, for although I have been rather undutiful through a multiplicity of business, yet give me leave to assure you that your welfare and happiness will ever occupy the first place in my heart.

I arrived with my family in good health at Cincinnati, Ohio, on the opposite side of the Ohio River on the 7th day of January, 1815, and in a few months after, moved to this place where I have established a brick yard and have found my most sanguine expectation answered in regards to the country. My prospects are still brightening and I have only to regret not coming to this country a few years sooner, as in that case a small sum of money well laid out according to the course of events which have since transpired, would have placed me at this time in a state of independence. The only regret that I feel in my present situation is the being so far removed from so many friends, and particularly from you, my dear mother, as it would afford the greatest happiness to contribute to yours, and in some measure to discharge the natural and affectionate debt due to the care of the dearest and best of mothers, by dispensing her cares and fulfilling her wishes in the evening of her days, when nature appears to claim a return of that care and tenderness, which is generally lavished on us in our infancy.

Give my best respects to my sister and the rest of our kindred at Grafton, and be sure you write me soon after receiving this, and make me acquainted with your health and circumstances. My family are all in good health and join with me in their concern and good wishes for your happiness.

With a heart glowing with the warmest gratitude for the maternal care and affection which you have ever evinced toward me, and in earnest prayer to Almighty God that a triple portion of His choicest mercies may attend you, I subscribe myself, your ever dutiful son,

Joel Hills



Typed by Judy Cluff from collection of Beulah Gibson.

No comments: